While I have written before at length on both economics and immigration those were not focused on how to liberalize trade or immigration. The first only addressed how to adapt libertarian economics to modern society. The second only dealt with how to fix the illegal immigration problem. Today I want to deal with liberalization of the trade and immigration and how to best accomplish that. Before I do that though I want to say that I still stand by everything I have written before on those two subjects. I am not altering my views on the subject. I’m simply fleshing out what I think more.
North American Free Trade Union
Note this is not an American version of the European Union. That’s a dumpster fire that we should not bring to America. What I’m proposing here, a proposal that I will flesh out in the rest of the article, is a free trade union that allows for citizens of the United States, Canada, and Mexico to move between the three countries freely for the purposes of trade and tourism. It does not eliminate any of the three countries’ regulatory autonomy or independence or sovereignty or borders. It is not a plan for open borders and doesn’t eliminate the normal immigration process for other forms of immigration. The following is my proposal:
- We create a single currency based on Gold and Silver for use in trade between the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
- Allow citizens of the United States, Canada, and Mexico, upon presenting proof of citizenship at the border, cross into any of the three countries for the purpose of trade and tourism.
- Make work and study visas easier to get.
- Remove all Tariffs, Embargoes, and Quotas between the three countries.
- Create a process by which other countries can join the Union if they want to.
- The North American Free Trade Union(NAFTU) does not contain any regulatory or immigration powers of its own.
1. Create a single currency based on Gold and Silver for use in trade between the United States, Canada, and Mexico
This currency IS NOT the American version of the Euro. It’s not the American version of the Euro for three very important reasons:
- It’s not fiat currency. It’s based on Gold and Silver which have real value not on monetization of the debt. Simply put the currency will have objective market value which will protect it from the problem of inflation.
- It will not be controlled by a Central Bank. Instead there will be a NAFTU Treasury that will mint the coins and print the bills. The treasury will then distribute the money to certain banks in all three countries but never to the Central Banks of any of the countries and it will be legal currency in all three countries.
- It will not replace the individual currencies of the three countries. Instead it will act as an international currency between the three countries allowing merchants to trade their goods without needing to exchange the currency into the currency of their country unless they choose to.
Because those are the case the currency will become the standard bearer for international currencies and will become more desirable than the fiat currencies of the three countries.
2. Allow citizens of the United States, Canada, and Mexico, upon presenting proof of citizenship at the border, cross into any of the three countries for the purpose of trade and tourism.
This will not replace the normal immigration process for other kinds of immigration. It will simply make it easier for commerce and tourism to cross borders between the three countries. Permanent residents, workers, and students would still need to get a visa the regular way. Citizens from countries not in the Union would not be able to take advantage of this nor would asylum seekers or refugees. Also all citizens would be subject to the civil and criminal laws of the country they were present in. Anyone breaking the law could be deported and denied future access. Make this as simple as possible for merchants, business men, and tourists.
3. Make work and study visas easier to get.
While the regular process for study and work visas won’t go away it should be simplified to encourage people from all three countries to work together to build a better economy. This won’t effect permanent legal residency, green cards, or citizenship. It will simply make it easier and more affordable to get a work or study visa.
4. Remove all Tariffs, Embargoes, and Quotas between the three countries.
Doing this would encourage free trade to flow between the three countries. This would make life better and goods and services cheaper. It would also increase productivity. The way to really Make America Great Again is with free trade.
5. Create a process by which other countries can join the Union if they want to.
Why keep this system between just between three countries? Obviously it’s harder to implement with countries over seas but there’s no reasons it can’t be expanded to other American nations. Therefore we should create a process by which other countries can join the Union. I suggest this process be similar to how a New State can join the United States. With each country having a vote in the process. Of course each country is free to leave at any time.
6. The North American Free Trade Union(NAFTU) does not contain any regulatory or immigration powers of its own.
Of course it doesn’t. This is one of the strong points of my plan. Each country maintains it’s own autonomy. However there will be an international body elected by all of the CEO’s, Businessmen, and Entrepreneurs in each country that will have the ability to draft trade and immigration policy proposals to the United States, Canadian, and Mexican governments. And while this body will have no power of its own it will maintain a presence in the capitals of all the countries in the union as well as all of their states and provinces. Any new proposal will have to be made by three fourths support of the body. And the body will equally represent the states and provinces of each country.
In conclusion this policy would improve trade and immigration between the United States, Canada, and Mexico. I will not be another European Union. And it will Make America Great Again through Free Trade.